Sunday, June 3, 2012

Famous Relatives ~ Who Are You Related To?

On Friday, I decided to scan some papers on my Cornett genealogy that I had received more than 10 years ago. Today, I combined all the files and created a PDF document of them, so that I could view them and read through them on my laptop instead of fumbling through paper after paper. I have looked over these papers countless times, looking for certain names only and while I was looking for some reference to Archelous Cornett I found something else even more amazing! 


So according to the paperwork I have, I am a very distant relative of Roy Rogers! Or am I? How could I have overlooked this? When looking at the genealogy, I started reading the part that mentioned Lloyd Cornett who married Anna Catron. But the way it is structured was a little confusing to me. One reason is because the names of Lloyd and Anna were at the top but another couple's names were right below that. So I'm not sure if its the line from Lloyd and Anna or the other couple (Weldon Cornett and Angeline Anderson) that had a daughter named Ocie? One of their daughters, Ocie, married a Joseph Slye from Ohio that is cousin to Roy Rogers.They had one child that is named after the father, his name was Joseph Slye Jr. 
Roy Rogers real name was Leonard Franklin Slye and was born November 5, 1911 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Roy Rogers AKA Leonard Slye died on July 6, 1998 in Apple Valley, California of congestive heart failure. His wife and co-star Dale Evans was at his side, according to an article written by the L.A. Times- dated July 7, 1998. (The link to the article is at the bottom of this post.) 

After reading this, I am definitely interested in researching this line even further! Who would have thought that a member of our family, even through marriage could be related to the "King of the Cowboys".  It seems a little far fetched but what I am really curious about is how this came to be! There aren't any dates or anything, just a reference to Roy Rogers.

This definitely needs to be documented as fact but it's definitely a start! The image below is only one page from my PDF document but it does state the connection to Roy Rogers, now I'm off to research this proof that I need. :) 




Wish Me LUCK! 


Roy Rogers
Image Source: King Of The Cowboys

0 comments:

Post a Comment